In the past two days, I’ve been blessed enough to be nominated for not ONE, but TWO blogging awards.
First, E. from A Sign of Life graciously recognized me for the Sunshine Award, calling my blog “delightfully real.” To that, dear E., I say that you, too, have an incredibly down-to-earth way with words and I enjoy every story of yours I get to read.
Then, Michelle from Scattered Wrecks nominated me for the Liebster Award, stating that I was “womanly wise beyond [my] young years and going to do amazing things one day.” Well, Michelle, you are already doing amazing things with your writing and your beautiful family, and it is a pleasure to be on the journey with you.
Now, bear with me as I answer these lovely ladies’ sets of questions.
- Are you the best chef ever, or do your dinners come in a box? I am the best chef ever. Not really. These are two extremes, and neither is really true for me. But I do love putting strange ingredients together to see if I can make something delicious with it – I despise recipes; they hinder my creative process. 🙂
- What is something you always wanted to do? Why haven’t you done it? I’ve always wanted to write a book, I just haven’t had the time to prioritize that yet. Right now, I’m kind of concentrating on getting through college without losing my mind.
- If you could learn any instrument in the world, what would it be and why? Laugh at me all you want, but I think it would be SO COOL to play the tuba. I’d be that badass little girl with the giant brass instrument. Everyone would want to be my friend.
- Do you have any siblings? If so, how many? Do you get along with them? I have a younger brother who just turned 19. He is my best friend in the entire world, and I love him to pieces. We don’t always get along, though. As siblings are wont to do, we tend to drive each other bananas.
- Tell me about your pets. (If you don’t have any, tell me about a pet you always wanted.) One time, I had a betta fish named Lucy. I tried to take her to summer camp with me and the rough mountain climate killed her. I’ve never been the same.
- Do you prefer warm climates, or does the bite of winter appeal to you? I don’t really know. I like seasons – I never want to live somewhere that doesn’t have four distinct seasons. But spending my collegiate years in Chicago has made me hate the winter windchill. I think I prefer slightly milder winters.
- What is your favorite number? Does it have a story behind it? It’s a tie between 3 and 7. There’s no story or reason, I’ve just always been drawn to those numbers.
- Name a character (from a movie, tv show, book, comic book, etc) that you love to hate. It’s a tie between Joffrey Baratheon in Game of Thrones (books or TV show) and River Tam in Firefly. People get mad at me for hating River, but she’s such an obnoxious character and she has this nasty habit of ruining everybody’s plans.
- There’s a masked vigilante in town! Does he need to be brought before the law, or should he be allowed to continue cleaning up the streets? I say let him do his thing. Especially if he’s as attractive as Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent.
- If you write fiction or poetry, is there a frequently recurring theme in your works (e.g. the ocean, romance, justice, etc)? If you don’t, is there a theme that seems to follow you through life? I don’t often write fiction or poetry these days, but I think if I did, there’d be a lot of coming-of-age symbolism. That’s just where I am in my life right now.
- Do you like scary stories? I like to be able to sleep at night, thank you very much. So no.
Michelle’s Movie Free-Association:
- Drama: Titanic
- Comedy: Wedding Crashers
- Romantic Comedy: The Proposal
- Romantic Drama: Cruel Intentions [oh God I’m sounding like a preteen right now]
- Epic: Harry Potter. All of them.
- Animated: Up
- Biopic: Finding Neverland
- Historical: Lincoln
- Sci-Fi: Serenity
- Foreign: Amelie
- Mystery: Memento [does that count?]
Now, here are 11 facts about me, in case you haven’t learned enough already.
- I can solve a Rubik’s cube in less than a minute.
- The only food I buy organic is apples, and I have no real explanation as to why that is.
- I have seven piercings and two tattoos and I do not regret a single one of them.
- My parents are both 6’2″ and my younger brother is 6’7″. I, however, am only 5’9″, and none of them will ever let me forget it.
- Someday, the Doctor will choose an American companion, and it will be me. Sorry, fellow Whovians.
- I am deathly afraid of deep water.
- However, I am also a certified lifeguard and swim instructor.
- I have really, really, really terrible eyesight. My prescription is -6.00 in both eyes, which basically means that without my glasses the world is just a blurry colorful blob.
- I don’t understand the point of iPads. If anyone has one and would like to share with me why it’s useful, I’m all ears.
- I eat avocados like it’s my job. Seriously. I eat at least half of an avocado every day.
- I get horrible anxiety when I have to talk on the phone. I would rather face a panel of judges than have to call one person.
And now, without further ado, my nominees! There are supposed to be eleven in each category, but I’ve never been one to play by the rules.
- Megan at The War in My Brain, who shares poignant, real, and funny moments in her struggle with OCD.
- Mackenzie at girl dans la cité, whose blog is funny, smart, and also delicious.
- Aussa at Hacker. Ninja. Hooker. Spy. Every time I stop by her blog I end up laughing so hard I pee my pants. Thanks, Aussa.
- Beth at Writer B is Me – hilarious, kind, supportive, insightful, funny…need I go on? Beth is kind of the best.
- Susannah Ailene Martin, young writer extraordinaire.
- Natalie at The Cat Lady Sings, whose writing sometimes makes me cry because it’s so beautiful.
- Jake at Jake vs. The City, who writes funny and relatable posts about a life I wish I had.
- Andrew at A Blumes With a View, another one with a comedic gift.
- CB at Combat Babe, who is wonderfully real and uncensored.
- Aiming for Simplicity
- Shree at The Heartsongs Blog
- Tripping Through My Twenty-Somethings
- C.C. at Conscious Cacophony
- Tess at Get A Real Life
- Madeleine at Matilda, All Grown Up
- Anne at BOOKS BAKING AND BLOGGING
- Michelle at aghostdancer
Participation in this is totally, 100% optional. If you don’t want to play, don’t. I will still love all of you and read your blogs religiously. But if you do, the rules are: include the award photo in your post, answer the eleven questions I ask you, share eleven other facts about yourself, nominate eleven bloggers for the award, and give them eleven questions to answer. Rinse and repeat.
- If you could insert yourself (as yourself) into any literary world of your choosing, what would it be?
- Coffee or tea?
- What is the WORST piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
- Crumple or fold?
- If we were to go on a date (hypothetically), where would you take me and why?
- If you could go back in time ten years and tell yourself one thing, what would it be?
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- What kind of toothpaste do you use?
- Above all else, what are you afraid of?
- So far, what has been your favorite age to be and why?
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?
Thanks for sticking with me, y’all! Congratulations and love to all my talented nominees.